Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How To: Easy and cost effective way to make a bird bath


I have quite a few furry and feathered friends that live in my backyard, specifically a family of rabbits, squirrels, and a pair of cardinals. Our backyard is their home, a place for them to seek shelter, bathe, play, and eat, until their little hearts content. I love having them around and I am happy to share my yard with them.

One day, I noticed one of my squirrel friends drinking nasty, dirty water from my sons kiddie pool. I felt terrible for the little guy and decided to make him his own drinking bowl. I needed something that would be low enough for the squirrels to reach, but sturdy enough that they wouldn't knock it over, and with that thought in mind I headed off to the thrift store.

This is what I bought:


The plan was to put the solar light in the base (the light globe) of the squirrel bath/water bowl so that it would glow in the evenings and attach the glass mixing bowl to the light globe.

Tada! The fully assembled $2.00 squirrel bath/water bowl!




This would be a fun project for making a bird bath too! All you would need is a taller base. In fact, there were quite a few ornate vases at the thrift store that could have made an elegant bird bath. It was hard resisting the urge to buy one to make another bird bath for the yard. 

Here it is in the backyard, alongside the bird bath and amidst the flowers. So peaceful.





I tried to get a photograph of the squirrels using it but by the time I get my camera, they are long gone. You will just have to believe me when I tell you that it is adorable watching them get a drink of water from their little squirrel bowl. ;-P

No comments:

Post a Comment